"Visions of World Benefit & Global Responsibility: Perspectives of McGill Students


Monday, August 27, 2007

What Will Be Your Legacy?

My dream is to have my own successful business one day so I can use my power to help the people who need help. Right now, there are many people living in rural areas of China are still extremely poor and have few access to enough food supply, clean water and medical care.

Since China is a communism country and has been operated under the same system for long time, it has a lot of disadvantages and weakness. To be specific, the political corruption is the biggest problem. Thus, I may need the help from local non-profit organization and the Chinese Red Cross Foundation (CRCF). They are the more effective and safe resources I can get help from.

Usually, the CRCF receives generous donation from the public and use them to improve the areas. Currently, there are many programs to help build village-based medical services in the remote western part of the country. Many health insurance companies fund them and the donation was used in philanthropic rural hospitals, doctor training, and assist serious illness relieving projects and research programs in poverty areas in West China.

In addition, there are many non-profit organizations help children who are not be able to attend school because of poverty. For instance, Overseas China Education Foundation (OCEF), which is a non- profit charity organization registered in Texas and granted by IRS as a 501 (c) (3), is dedicated to help less-privileged children in rural areas of China to finish their education up to 9th grade. Since the donation is sent to each supported school directly from OCEF and delivered to students at an open conference attended and monitored by OCEF's volunteering coordinators in China, so I can trust this reliable organization and donate money or just simply buy some studying tools for those children.

Since local government and parents are too poor to support school-age children receiving basic education, OCEF provides an opportunity for people who are willing to help them. There are about millions of such children waiting for our help. Through the program, children will learn basic reading and writing skills. They are the future of the country and only education can push them out of poverty and ignorance.

Moreover, I am planning to personally be responsible for children in these rural areas. I can directly help and finance them to receive not only basic education but also higher education like university. If my personally financial situation is allowable, I would adopt kids who are orphans and bring them to Canada and let they receive better education and more family care.

As we learned in our OB class, I realized that the whole world is connected together through various ways. When we are having plenty of food and access to good health care, many people are still struggling for their very basic needs. When the world is developed very unevenly, many conflicts will appear and will threaten the safety of all the people on this planet. Although my power alone might not be enough to assist all the children, I am willing to try my best in my study and career, not only for myself, but also for them.

No comments: