"Visions of World Benefit & Global Responsibility: Perspectives of McGill Students


Friday, August 3, 2007

Management Education in the 21st Century

I believe that management education is capable of and is beginning to shift towards a more practical and applicable style of education. From my experience at McGill up until now, what I have seen is courses being taught directly out of the textbooks. In fact for the majority of the my management courses I have simply read the course syllabus to know what material I need to read and then studied from that without attending classes, and it has done me just fine. I envision a class where you leave the textbook behind and that class becomes more of a business atmosphere where you feel like you are learning but at the same time working at a job. I find that co-op training, which is offered at some universities, is very useful because you get a balance of theoretical and practical learning. My ideal course, would value case studies very highly while it would not include exams because they have no usefulness in real business practices.

No comments: